Mentoring Program Mission Statement
The purpose of the NEPTA Mentoring Program is to give NEPTA members the opportunity to broaden their teaching experience through observation of and discussion with experienced master teachers, to give master teachers the opportunity of passing on their teaching legacies and to establish close collegial relationships between NEPTA members.
- A Mentor is someone who is happy to share his or her expertise and experience. Mentoring is a way of “giving back” the knowledge and support that a Mentor has received, in a non-judgmental manner.
- A Mentee is someone who is interested in growth and is open to learning. A Mentee will silently observe a Mentor actively teaching.
The process for participating in the program is as follows:
- Any NEPTA member may apply to be a Mentor or a Mentee.
- Mentors and Mentees fill out an application.
- The Mentoring Program Committee matches up Mentors with Mentees.
- A member of the Mentoring Program will serve as an advisor to each Mentor/Mentee pair.
- There is no charge for the time that a Mentee observes a Mentor teaching. However, if the Mentee wants to discuss any pedagogical issues, outside of the teaching observation time, either in person, by phone or email, the Mentor may charge a fee for that time as set forth in the Mentor’s application and Billing Agreement.